- In cooperation with local communities, established new livelihood opportunities by education and the creation of livelihoods.
- Repairing school buildings and supporting children with solar lights, rain clothing and other needs.
- Public education and social mobilization.
- Established gliricidia fuel wood plantations to protect mangroves.
- Increasing fish resources by mangrove restoration and the establishment of the first oyster culture project.
- Protecting villages prone to floods by establishing flood walls.
The majority of the people in the project area are living below the poverty line. They are struggling to survive with very little, and worry about their future. Natural resources are diminishing with the destruction of mangrove forests and food from the sea. People are increasingly worried about the losses of mangroves due to the dangers of extreme weather like the monster cyclone Nagris in 2008.
Our efforts are not only to mitigate CO2, but to also assist people in creating a better and safer existence with no need to destroy natural resources for survival. Our target is to increase income for the 63% living below the poverty line, with 100% higher income within the next 5 years. Livelihood creation, education, improvements in health services and the introduction of renewable energy are on top of the agenda.
After three years of working with the communities, people have become more confident in their future. The benefits have been job creation, the use of wood saving stoves, village energy forests, the distribution of solar lights and more. In addition, charcoal burners of mangrove have been supported with new income opportunities, providing them with better lives than before.
This is only the beginning. The project aims at a social and economic revival based on sustainable development principles. As more resources are generated, development will secure the future that people deserve, while contributing to combatting climate change.
Sustainable development is solidarity with ourselves and the children of the future.